Tuesday, September 6, 2011

100+++ Things

I finished Dave Bruno's The 100 Thing Challenge tonight at my son's soccer practice.  I had big plans tonight.  A list.  Of things to buy.  Which would have put us getting home a lot later in the evening when we were already tired.  Dave Bruno is all about simplicity.  Railing against American-consumerism (you know those American-consumerists~kinda remind me of Grinchy Jim Carrey's Who-ville neighbors).  Okay, he's not railing~just stating the obvious and working on living without having to buy a life.  How revolutionary.
I was truly inspired by the reading.  I felt a shift inside and had an AHA moment.  Things and the buying of things do not make a life.  They may help you pretend, but they do not satisfy or fulfill.  Things simply beef up your wishbone.  They justify the excuse "Well if I had such-and-such, I would be happy/could be like ____(fill in the blank)/all would be right in my world".  NOT.  Not gonna happen.  And I am proof through practice.  Buying things just creates more stress.  The momentary lift deflates as soon as that coveted thing permanently takes up space in your home. Then it's off to the races again to fill that void.  Or it's time to worry over money spent, time lost, wishes unfulfilled... My son and I went home. 
Since it's a long drive there and back, I started to count how many things I owned just in my bedroom.  One room.  Not counting each item in my two nightstand drawers, I waaaayyy surpassed 100.  And I had cleaned out the bedroom a couple of weeks ago!  Dear Lord.  And hmmm...if I have at least (and I do) 100 things in my bedroom, it is safe to assume that every other room in the house has at least 100 of my things.  Panic at the disco!!!! Oh, and the basement (which is the WHOLE length of the house)...
...
...
Sorry readers (all 1 of you), I just had a moment.  I have work to do.  And I think this time the work might actually work.  In my 43rd year, I may just live life fully instead of trying to buy a full life.  I said last night I'd no intention of pairing down to just 100 things,  I am not a Spartan.  I like stuff.  I just don't need as much stuff as I have now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment