Saturday, October 22, 2011

Saturday Surprises

What a gorgeous day!  And even better, I have no where to be:)  It has been lovely to spend some much needed time in the yard tending to the much neglected garden patches.  I had time to pull up the corn stalks and prop them up in the middle of the weeded-out pumpkin patch.  I secured the scarecrow to the cornstalks and added some pumpkins my dad had made long ago.  


As I was setting this up, I was pleasantly surprised by quite a few pumpkin seedlings!  The squash vine borers got all but two of our pumpkins this year, and I had let some of them rot in the patch.  And now we have new sprouts!
Add to that, my son discovered something untoward growing amongst the spent soybeans in the field across from our house~watermelons!
There were quite a few winding themselves throughout the field.  Our two sons helped us hunt around to see how many we could find.  
Last, but not least, my last task of the afternoon was to weed out my poor neglected herb garden.  At the end of August, my oregano, lemon balm, mint and lavender had called it quits.  I was delighted to discover sprouts of each coming back:)  I found there is nothing as peaceful and refreshing as the smells of fresh herbs in the breeze as you brush up against them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment