Monday, September 5, 2011

Laborious Labor Day

There it is  My attic door.  BIG huffy breath....
One of the things I received for my birthday was a gift card to Amazon.  I am glad the card is made of plastic because I was basically salivating at the sight.  I plonked myself down and scrolled through my monster of a wish list to try to pick and choose what to get (don't think I will ever possess a card that would take care of all of my Amazon wishes:( ).  One of those titles was Dave Bruno's  The 100 Thing Challenge.   The book whizzed to my Kindle and I began to read.  Wow.  Dave Bruno must have heard me say that I want to clean out my life.  I have attempted this feat before and gotten a good head start but I blink and am back to drowning in stuff.  And then buying more!  It is overwhelming and depressing and when ya get down to it, just pisses me off.
Because of that and with the catalyst of 100 Things, I made a plan.  I have no desire to get myself down to only 100 possessions.  I am aware of my limitations.  No, just get rid of all of the bleh.  The bad purchases, the things I am holding onto for ? , the "perfectly good ------", the things I will get to, the things that end up hanging over my head like black clouds.  And I began.   Figured that I would start up and work my way out the door.  
I forewarned my hubby that I was cleaning out the attic. Told him not to worry, that I was not going to go through his belongings, but he decided to go through his stuff too (bless his heart).  I decided today would be the day and I was going to pull everything down, go through it and sort for its new home.  Hubby didn't like that idea, but how else can you actually make decisions until you really see what you've got???
A bunch of junk, that's what.  Man oh man.  We have been throwing things up there with reckless abandon.  Our stuff, kid's stuff, inherited stuff, STUFF.  Almost all of it came down ( hubby still has his area). We commenced to sorting, tossing, reorganizing and taking what we wanted to keep back up.  I was ruthless.  I was efficient.  I am exhausted. 
My attic, though, hasn't looked this neat since we moved in:)
I have a yard sale in my future which gives me a deadline.  A finite day when I shall be done with the major purging of things.  Once that day is behind me, I will start on my list for my 43rd year~things I plan on doing not buying...
Purge well my friends, and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment